Glass Door Fridges – The Pros And Cons You Need To Know
Fridges are important in fact I would argue that most of us would agree that they are arguably one of the most essential household appliances. However, if fridges do have one downside then it is the fact they can be a little drab.
Most fridges are the same really they are usually stainless steel contraptions in a rectangular shape. From a purely style point of view, there really isn’t much variety to many fridges aside from the colour really. However, glass door fridges do look to change that.
One of the latest crazes in kitchen décor is a glass door fridge but do they offer anything different is it all down to style points? Well, the good news is glass door fridges do offer benefits aside from their visuals but the bad news is there could be some downsides you need to consider as well.
So, let’s take a more detailed at glass door fridges, shall we? Below, I’ll investigate the pros and cons so you can better judge whether you want to upgrade your kitchen with one or if you are better sticking to your more standard conventional refrigerator.
Glass Door Fridges – The Pros
Who knew you’d have so many things to consider when buying a fridge? If you have ever looked at kitchen appliance catalogues or showroom pictures you will probably notice the growing presence of glass door fridges. They are definitely riding a wave of popularity so let’s see what the benefits of opting for a glass door fridge are.
- One of the main reasons people opt for a glass door fridge is that they are more stylish. This is open for debate of course but I think most people would agree a glass door fridge does look more modern and stylish. So, they certainly win from a visual point of view in my opinion.
- Glass door fridges offer greater transparency which can help make a kitchen feel bigger. This is again mainly a style benefit but they can have a big impact when it comes to your kitchen decor. You can also utilise your glass door fridge to act as an extra-display point for your kitchen as well.
- One of the biggest benefits of glass door kitchen fridges is that the interior glow of the door will bring in extra light to your kitchen. That might not seem like a big thing but many kitchens (particularly smaller ones) do struggle when it comes to providing adequate lighting and a glass door fridge can certainly help.
- A glass door fridge means you can actually see what is in your fridge without opening it. This might seem like a small thing but it will actually help your fridge maintain its temperature level. Every time you open your fridge the cool air escapes and this can cause food to go off more quickly. By having a glass door fridge you can side-step this issue entirely.
- Glass door fridges might seem like they are a weaker option when compared to traditional more conventional fridges. However, glass door fridges are actually quite dent and scratch resistant and they can more easily be cleaned. With the right care, a glass door fridge can look pristine and new for years.
- You have a lot of variety when it comes to glass door fridges. There are numerous colour options and the glass can be designed in many different ways from different finishes and patterns and much more.
- Many people don’t really take the time to organise and clean their fridge as often as they should but with a glass door fridge, you will have an extra incentive. Because you will be able to see inside the fridge at all times you’ll be more likely to keep it clean and tidy.
So, that finishes up my main pros for getting a glass door fridge. From a purely style point of view, it’s hard to argue with glass door fridges, they look modern, stylish and have a lot of options for versatility and personal taste.
They are available as both single door and double door units and can even come as a fridge-freezer combo unit as well. Aside from the style point of view glass door fridges are also very practical and a great way to ensure you always keep your fridge clean.
Glass Door Fridges – The Cons
So, we’ve looked at the pros but what about the cons? Glass door fridges aren’t without their downsides so let’s take a more in-depth look at them.
- While glass door fridges might look nice they do require time and effort to actually maintain their glamour. If you aren’t tidy with your fridge’s storage then you can’t ignore it with a glass door fridge. However, this problem can be avoided if you have a frosted or smoked glass finish. But I’d argue it would be better to get into the habit of keeping your fridge clean and tidy instead.
- Glass door fridges are actually quite tough and durable which takes many people by surprise. However, the glass front while strong isn’t going to be immune to harm like stainless steel would be so you will have to be mindful of it. You don’t want to accidentally knock something into the glass and risk breaking it, do you?
- The glass door is the focal point of the fridge but in order for it to look it’s best it will require regular cleaning. Smudges, fingerprints and food waste splatter can quickly mess up your fridge’s appearance. So, make sure you are ready to do the regular cleaning required to keep your fridge looking its best.
- One con most people don’t really realise until they buy a glass door fridge is the fact that they have less storage. A glass door fridge is usually not going to have any kind of door storage on it. This means you’ll have to store things like milk, condiments and other smaller things in the fridge itself. It might seem like a small thing but it will take up valuable space.
- Finally, let’s look at what most people will consider the biggest con of them all the price! While glass door fridges do come from a variety of different suppliers they are all going to usually be quite expensive. Your standard conventional fridge is going to be a lot cheaper than a glass door model. Glass door fridges are considered luxury appliances and as such, they can be very expensive.
Glass Door Fridges – Should You Get One?
Well, now that you know the pros and cons of glass door fridges let’s answer the final question is it worth getting one? Well, they do offer some great benefits and from a style/ visual point of view, they offer something very modern and high-quality however they require regular maintenance and cleaning in order to ensure they look their best.
You will also need to ensure you can actually afford one as well because glass door fridges don’t come cheap. But if you want a more modern and stylish fridge then glass door fridges are the ideal choice. Just make sure you can afford one and that you are willing to put in the work to keep them looking their best.